Daniel Toulson received the prestigious 2016 Irene B. Taeuber Graduate Student Paper Award from the District of Columbia Sociological Society.
Three sociology students, Leigh Cordeiro, Daniel Heeseman and AJ Academia, will present papers at the Eastern Sociological Society annual meeting in March.
Professor Sandra Hanson published American Dream among Latinos/as. Texas A&M University Press.
Professor Enrique S. Pumar is Co Principal Investigator of a funded research project assessing the social impact of water quality in Cuba with the University of Miami.
Daniel Toulson was awarded the 2016 Irene B. Taeuber Graduate Student Paper Award by the DC Sociological Society.
In 2015-16 the department is hosting Visiting Scholar Dr. Jesus Valero from the University of Valladolid, Spain.
Dr. Chris Tamborini published a research paper in Demography.
Julia Girardi was a awarded a 2015 Fulbright Teaching Award to Austria.
Ginamarie Shaffer was inducted into Phi Beta Kappa and was awarded the 2015 President's Award.
AJ Academia was awarded an internship at The African Faith and Justice Network.
Justine Swindell was awarded a prestigious graduate fellowship by the United Nations Association in the Spring 2015.
Dr. Sandra Hanson was awarded a grant from the National Science Foundation and the Sigma Xi Distinguished Lectureship for 2015-2017.
Dr. Enrique S. Pumar was appointed Visiting Scholar at the Institute for the Study of International Migration at Georgetown University in 2014-2016.
Camille Sanchez will join the Lorton Community Action Center after graduation.
Leigh Cordeiro is the recipient of the 2016 William Joseph Kerby Award for Outstanding Achievement by a graduating senior.
Sociology Department Events
The Sociology Department congratulates all the 2016 graduating seniors particularly our graduating Sociology class.
- Book drive to build a library for the DC Juvenile Jail. Donations could include fiction and other books that do not pose a security risk. You may drop-off books at Aquinas Hall 103.
- The Saga of Pedro Pan Minors. Child Migration from Cuba and the Role of the Catholic Church Roundtable. February 9, 2017.
- Ellen Conn is the recipient the 2017 William Joseph Kerby Award for Outstanding Achievement by a graduating senior.
- Daniel Toulson received the 2016 Irene B. Taeuber Graduate Student Paper Award from the DC Sociological Society.
- Dr. Brandon Vaidyanathan Brown Bag. February 21.
- Dr. Sandra Hanson published The American Dream among Latinos/as. Texas A&M University Press.
- Ryan Serabian, a former student, was published by The Clarion Project.